Leesburg Training Centre

Xerox International Center for Training & Management Development (XICTMD)

The center was built by Xerox in 1974 under the name of Xerox International Center for Training and Management Development. It was later changed to Xerox Document University when an additional building was added to train employees in copier technology and equipment. In 1994 Xerox opened the facilities to other corporations, and sold it to Oxford Capital Partners in 2000 as part of an exit from the hospitality industry. In part this exit was due to a continuous under-capacity in event bookings, despite such events as the National Veterans Golden Age Games being hosted at the site. From its opening in 1974 until May 2014, it was run by ARAMARK Harrison Lodging, a management services company. In May 2014, NCC EE, LLC became the new management services group. Source: Wikipedia

History of Xerox Leesburg property

Colonial history of Leesburg

Notify of
guest

24 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
P.W.
P.W.
October 4, 2022 2:55 pm

I spent many weeks training at XICTMD during the course of my 31 year Xerox career. My daughter-in-law was hired as a Fema employee several years ago and went their to train for Fema.
What a coincidence, It is no longer XICTMD. There are many changes but still much remains the same.
P.W.

Michael Arnold
Michael Arnold
October 3, 2022 2:44 pm

The tunnels, the food, the classrooms, the laundry service, the hotel/dorm rooms, all excellent. This was the ‘Pentagon’ of corporate business. The corporate world was great back then.

Ron Phillips
Ron Phillips
October 2, 2022 5:36 pm

I first went to the Leesburg training center in Dec. of 1975. It was out in the country with very little around it, and if you went into the town of Leesburg, they rolled up the sidewalks at 8:00 PM.

Paul Beaudoin
Paul Beaudoin
September 16, 2022 4:37 pm

This website brings back memories, I spent 22 years in field service. I started out as a PSR(1983) in Providence later became a CSE. I serviced 2300’s up to 5100’s and everything in between. I worked Southeastern Massachusetts and all of Rhode Island. I left in 2005 to teach high school electronics.

R. Joseph (Joe) Trammell
June 21, 2022 10:49 pm

Hello Roger, Do you remember me? It’s been a long time. For more about me now, see http://www.rjtrdesign.com.

Roger J Merriman
Roger J Merriman
April 19, 2022 2:49 pm

Was project manager for the design-build project in 1970 till turn over, fantastic group to work with and the ability to start a large project in Loudoun County, now Loudoun is really grown up. Ashburn is the new Loudoun, and Landsdown Hospitals

Rod Paine
January 9, 2022 8:35 pm

I was responsible for assisting in the design and implementation of the classrooms A/V systems and the Training Centers three broadcast quality color TV studios, built in the basement of the building. It was a significant television program creation capability, and was in fact superior to the then Washington DC TV studios capabilities. It was a great assignment and I certainly was proud of the high quality level of TV productions we created, to support the training efforts of the Training Center, as well as TV training support for the Xerox Field Offices.

John D Linn
John D Linn
Reply to  Rod Paine
January 31, 2022 6:17 pm

Hey Rod, what a surprise to see your comments. You may remember me as one of the video guys from Webster Media Center. Our two teams of course worked on many projects together. My first memory of XICTMD was a visit during construction where we filmed (yes 16mm film) for a presentation we were doing for the branch trainers. The training center was very impressive and it is a little sad to see how much development has happened since those early years. The pristine natural site has now been developed to the point that is is almost unrecognizable. But that… Read more »

Rod Paine
Reply to  John D Linn
February 1, 2022 2:32 pm

Hi John,
Sent a reply but this system has not POSTED IT!
Send me your ‘E-MAIL’ address to me at rodpaine@gmail.com and I’ll send you my reply.

Last edited 8 months ago by Rod Paine
Paul Hanson
Paul Hanson
December 14, 2021 2:17 am

I was a bit of an outlier. I hated the Leesburg facility. Sales training was all mind games trying to put pressure on the trainee and disorient you. I always lost weight because I hated the food – I was in a small minority but we ate much better at home. One interesting little thing about the room numbering method – it was deliberately set up that way to confuse the guest. The convention for giving numbers is generally building/floor/room. This makes sense – figure out the building, find the floor, look for the room. I think they did it… Read more »

Robert Evans
Robert Evans
Reply to  Paul Hanson
April 13, 2022 4:48 am

They did it floor/bldg./room because of the phone system (to allow for future expansion).

Mike
Mike
Reply to  Paul Hanson
May 5, 2022 12:35 pm

You sound like a complainer

hadidi
hadidi
November 19, 2021 8:23 pm

My father joined in 1966 according to what he authorized, but God forbid that he was injured in an accident in 1973 when he was returning from work and completely lost his movement and work because he had a spinal injury, but today, praise be to God, he is enjoying good health, much better than that days, and he used to tell me about his work and his love for him.

Pete Della Ratta
Pete Della Ratta
November 12, 2021 9:16 pm

It sure beat staying at Hicksville Motor lodge.

Larry Watson
Larry Watson
Reply to  Pete Della Ratta
September 12, 2022 9:09 pm

I stayed there a couple of times when I was at Canon USA!

John Mitchell
John Mitchell
November 10, 2021 1:39 am

Visited Leesburg several times between 1985 and 1995 for both technician training (9500/9900/5090) and sales trainer training. The volleyball tournaments and Thursday nights in the bar were definitely the highlights of my visits there. That and the cafeteria which was simply amazing. Still have my “Team Xerox 1985” t-shirt I bought at the gift shop. Loved my days with Xerox.

Mike
Mike
June 26, 2021 8:35 pm

My previous comment had the email typed incorrectly. Please update to this. Thanks!

Mike
Mike
June 26, 2021 8:30 pm

Spent weeks at the big training facility. It was a beautiful place in the day. Tunnels, classrooms, great food. Everyone dressed for success and the laundry services were excellent! Took basic and advanced, a course on offset/web printing to be applied to marketing the 5090. First time I had hands-on the IBM and Kodak duplicators during competition training. Met a lot of great people and heard many good stories. I remember a trainer, older fellow, who had success with the Navy. I have lots of pictures and a video of me doing a sales presentation. Weekends here were excellent. We… Read more »

Mark Decker
Mark Decker
Reply to  Mike
July 27, 2021 2:37 am

I must’ve spent half my life in Leesburg too. Was in the very first ACT class which was for the 9200. One of the instructors, a tech from down south, would sabotage the machine and we had to figure out how, which is where I learned about Jesus clips. Later I went back for sales training, and then Docutech trainer and analyst training. I also remember that old Navy guy in the competitive lab, he was crusty but pretty funny. I always drove down from NJ and a few times we went into to town and Payne’s Biker bar.

Joe
Joe
Reply to  Mark Decker
October 14, 2021 10:25 pm

I joined Xeror in 1977 as a tech Rep and retired in 2003 and in that time frame I was in Leesburg a total of 7 months and 3 weeks. Going to Leesburg was always a welcome break for the daily work load. Like Mike mention the food and scenery was great. You meant people from all over the US and Canada. It was also interesting how the town of Leesburg was growing from this little town to a city. It was great from 660’s to 6180’S

Jack Vormittag
Reply to  Mike
October 23, 2021 6:21 pm

I joined Xerox Dec. 1969 on Long Island N. Y. I became a trainer on June 1,1973 at Crystal City just outside Washington D.C. Moved to XICTMD Leesburg on June 1,1974. I was an instructor on 3100, TC410, 3400, 9200, 9400 and MARS work support. I left XICTMD on April 1, 1979 to move to Lynchburg, Va. where I still reside. It was the high light of my career and life. A great place to work and visit. Thanks Sandy Banker always in my heart.

Jim
Jim
Reply to  Jack Vormittag
November 15, 2021 2:49 am

Oh wow I had forgotten about him. I met him and chatted with him several times around the facility,

XICTMD was indeed an amazing place. Met many great gals and guys there, late 70’s to mid-80’s. I was single and fired up several romances there. Very nostalgic to think about.

Jeff Duntemann
Reply to  Jack Vormittag
April 28, 2022 2:46 am

Heh. Maybe I met you there. I learned the ancient copiers (914/720/1000/813/660) in the fall of 1974, the 4000/4500 a year or so later, and finally the 3100 and LDC. I met a lot of interesting people, and wire-wrapped a COSMAC ELF computer on my off-time. I learned to like country music there, because a country station was all I could pick up on my little transistor radio. I like the music to this day. Xerox was a great gig. I was there for ten years. They gave me a job as a programmer in the early 80s, even though… Read more »

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x